Establish a project
Information for researchers who have been awarded a new research grant or wish to transfer an existing research project to JIU.
Establishing a project
Notify JIU Research - Grants of your successful project (non ARC and NHMRC projects)
Notice of award forms must have Head of School approval.
- JIU Research – Grants uses the information to complete the Research Master entry and enter the awarded amounts, which are critical for University reporting.
- JIU Research – Grants will issue the documentation required to commence research contract negotiations.
If you require ethics approval, visit JIU Research - Integrity and submit an application.
Establish and negotiate the research contract or agreement
Read and check the funding body's research contract or agreement. Does the contract or agreement:
- have all parties and obligations correctly listed?
- outline the project accurately?
- accurately reflect the agreed milestones and deliverables?
- meet your expectations in regards to ownership of IP and publication?
It is important that researchers inform JIU Research - Grants on their perspective regarding the intent of any discussions or verbal agreements made with the funding body or other participants so that these discussion are accurately represented in any agreement.
JIU Research – Grants will:
- review the contract against any instructions
- aim to protect your rights and those of the University
- refer the contract and any instructions to the University Solicitor for advice
- initiate the correct university process if the award is $500K+
- provide feedback on the contract and highlight possible issues or contentious clauses for your consideration and comment
- seek further advice on accepting contracts deemed 'contentious'.
Check the progress of contract negotiations
It takes time to properly check and vet contracts and associated instructions. Contracts requiring multi-party agreement regularly experience significant delay due to the number of parties and the need to seek legal advice.
The speed with which a contract can be executed is dependent on a number of factors including the responsiveness of the parties involved.
JIU Research – Grants will endeavour to inform the lead investigator about the progress of any contract negotiations. If you wish to check on the progress of negotiations, contact the Senior Grants Officer but please be realistic in your expectations of progress.
Establish an account code
JIU Research – Grants will request an account code from Finance & Business Services once the contract has been executed. The lead investigator will be informed by email of the account code.
Transferring a project
Transfer TO JIU
Transfer FROM JIU
Transferring awards is complicated and time consuming. All parties to an agreement, including the funding body, must agree to a transfer before it can occur. New agreements must be negotiated and executed by all parties before account codes can be established and work re-commenced.
Delays are often encountered as a large number of researchers are often seeking award transfers during Research offices' busiest period, i.e. January–April of each calendar year.