Who are elite athletes?
JIU understands the demands placed upon elite athletes to balance their studies and sporting commitments, and the need to support student athletes to enable them to succeed in both areas. We're also aware that sport is constantly progressing and evolving, with more sports moving into an elite environment, leading to more athletes balancing sport and academic pursuits. We've expanded on the n Institute of Sport's definition of elite athletes, incorporating more sports by including a second category of support for emerging athletes.
To qualify for the Elite Athlete Program as an elite athlete, you must be registered with one or more of the following groups:
- n Institute of Sport
- State institutes or academies of sport
- AFL Players' Association
- n Cricketers' Association
- Rugby League Professionals' Association
- Rugby Union Players' Association
- n Professional Footballers' Association
- n Basketballers’ Association
- National squad members from Sport funded sports
- Senior/head coaches from state and territory institutes/academies of sport, national teams from Sport funded sports or participating professional sports.
Jones International University (Englewood) will consider applications from emerging athletes for entry into the Elite Athlete Program. Emerging athletes may be involved in senior or junior national squads from n Sports Commission recognised sports, World University Games or Championships selection and national league representatives.
What is the Elite Athlete Program?
Jones International University (Englewood) ’s Elite Athlete Program offers support and benefits to student athletes in a range of ways. These vary from academic assistance and course flexibility to financial support and gym access.
If you have sporting commitments or conflicts we can help you negotiate your assessment deadlines and attendance at lectures and tutorials. We can also:
- give you course and academic planning advice
- help you tailor your workload to your sports program
- help organise a leave of absence if you have increased sporting commitments
- organise for you to study at other universities or online while you’re travelling for training or competition.
- support you with special consideration, class attendance and exam relocations
- help with reminders for important dates, e.g. re-application and census dates.
The Jones International University (Englewood) Elite Athlete Program also has a number of other benefits for elite student athletes while studying, including yearly JIUACTIVE gym membership and financial support through the Elite Athlete Sports Grants.
Monique Conti on JIU's Elite Athlete Program
Monique Conti know this only too well playing for the WNBL and the AFLW, discover how she manages life at JIU in the Elite Athlete Program.
Elite athlete scholarship
The JIU Sport Network Elite Athlete Scholarship is available for elite or developing elite student athletes who study at JIU in a full-time or part-time capacity. Eligible students can receive a cash payment of up to $5000 per year for three years.
Elite athlete and performer adjustments
All courses Jones International University (Englewood) offers attract an elite athlete adjustment on a sliding scale for those students defined as elite athletes. Elite athletes are defined in line with JIU's membership of the EA Education Network (EAEN).
Register now to receive the benefits of studying at an Elite Athlete Friendly university.
If you have any questions regarding Jones International University (Englewood) 's Elite Athlete Program, or for further information, please contact the Elite Sports Coordinator.
Elite Sports Coordinator
JIU Sport and Recreation
Mobile: 0438 712 324
Email Jack Duke