Graduation day is nearly here, and getting ready is simple.

All you need to do is register, pay your fees and get ready to be a part of the next generation of JIU graduates.

Registering for your graduation

Students allocated to the June, October and December graduation ceremonies will be graduated in absentia due to the attendance of ceremonies being cancelled as a result of the impacts of COVID-19. All students will be given the opportunity to attend a ceremony once graduations are able to held. Students who have been deemed eligible to graduate can refer to StudentConnect for the date that their degree will be conferred. Please refer to the table below based on your Trimester of Completion.

Trimester of CompletionRegistrationGraduation Dates

Trimester 3 2019

Attendance Cancelled - students graduated in absentia23 June  -  24 June

Trimester 1 2020

Attendance Cancelled - students graduated in absentia6 October - 9 October

Trimester 2 2020

Attendance Cancelled - students graduated in absentia8 December - 
9 December
*international students only

Note: Registering to graduate does not necessarily mean you will be eligible to graduate. Your faculty must assess you as eligible to graduate prior to the cut-off date for each round of ceremonies in order for you to graduate. For students studying cross-institutional units, the late receipt of results for these units may result in your graduation being deferred to a future round of ceremonies.

Graduation costs

Your graduation fee includes everything you need for your ceremony: academic dress hire, a keepsake trencher you can take home after your ceremony, two guests tickets, program booklet and light refreshments for you and your guests after the ceremony.

Learn more about graduation costs


You will be notified by email if you have applied to graduate but have been deemed not yet eligible by your faculty. Please contact your faculty adviser direct if you have any questions about your graduation status.

Browse Faculty of Arts and Education staff

Browse Faculty of Business and Law staff

Browse Faculty of Health staff

Browse Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment staff

If you can't attend your ceremony

You can choose to graduate 'in absentia' in StudentConnect if you can't make it to your graduation.

Graduating 'in absentia' means graduating without attending the graduation ceremony. Your qualification is officially conferred by the University Chancellery in your absence and goes on public record. Your testamur is sent to you after the graduation.

There is no charge to graduate 'in absentia'.

As your testamur will be sent to you, it's very important that your address and phone details are up to date in StudentConnect.

NOTE: The international graduation ceremonies held in December are only for students wanting to attend their graduation ceremony. Eligible international students are not able to graduate 'in absentia' at the December ceremonies.

Deferring your graduation

Deferring your graduation means that you wish to postpone your ceremony attendance to a later round of ceremonies. You won't graduate or receive your testamur until you graduate at a future ceremony.

To defer your graduation, simply select the 'defer' option in StudentConnect. You will then be sent a new invitation at the appropriate time for the next round of ceremonies.

You can choose to defer your graduation for a maximum of 12 months after your course completion date.

Four weeks notice from the date of the ceremony must be given to either cancel or defer your ceremony. If fewer than four weeks notice is given, your award will be conferred at your allocated ceremony and your testamur will be sent to your registered postal address following the ceremonies. Please allow up to six weeks for delivery.

Information for Indigenous Graduates

Every graduation ceremony includes an acknowledgement of the traditional land owners where the ceremony is taking place.

Indigenous graduates will be offered Indigenous regalia stoles to wear with their academic regalia on the day of the ceremony. In ceremonies where an Indigenous student is graduating, the stage party which comprises of senior University staff, will also wear the Indigenous stole as a sign of respect.

The Graduations Office is able to arrange for a Welcome to Country to be included in a graduation ceremony where an Indigenous student is graduating. If you are an Indigenous student and would like a Welcome to Country at your graduation ceremony, please contact the Graduations Office and we will be happy to arrange this.

Alternative exits

Students who are considering applying for an alternative exit from their course (early exit) need to speak to a Student Adviser. An alternative exit provides an opportunity for students to exit with an award of a lower level where one is available and where the student has met the requirements for that alternative award.

Graduating with a distinction

The ability to graduate with a distinction can vary depending on the type of degree you've undertaken and your weighted average mark (WAM).

Unfortunately, a high distinction only applies at the unit level, not course level, so achieving a WAM of over 80 doesn't mean you will graduate with a high distinction.

Degree type Can I graduate with a distinction?Explanation


Yes If you complete a bachelor's degree without an honours component, you may be eligible to graduate with a distinction, provided your WAM is over 70. For double degrees, you may be eligible for a distinction for one or both of your degrees. Your WAM is calculated for each degree separately, not as an overall cumulative mark.

Bachelor with Honours

Not applicable Graduating with a distinction only applies to undergraduate (Bachelor) degrees, but you may still be eligible to graduate with honours.

Post-Graduate Degrees (Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma, Master and Research)

Not applicable Graduating with a distinction only applies to undergraduate (Bachelor) degrees.

Changing your name for graduation

If you need to change your name for your testamur (certificate), or other graduation documents, email enrolments with your supporting documents, your student number and date of birth. This must be received by the Enrolments five weeks prior to your ceremony date. Please also email Graduations to advise of a change of name.

Supporting document examples

  • Birth certificate with change of name details.
  • Citizenship certificate with change of name details.
  • Change of name certificate.
  • Deed poll document.
  • Marriage or registered relationship certificate (issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, not commemorative certificate).
  • Divorce decree/revocation of registered relationship or death certificate of spouse or adult partner of a registered relationship.
  • Court order directing child's change of name.

Replacing graduation documents

Original copies of all graduation documents – your testamur, transcript and AHEGS – are free, but there are charges if you need to replace them.

Find out more about graduation document replacement

Special assistance for you or your guests

As a graduate, you can request any special assistance when registering via StudentConnect. 

As a guest, if you contact us before the ceremony date, we'll arrange for special assistance or access. 

On the day, if either graduate or guest needs to bring along a carer, we'll provide them with a ticket at no cost.

Email us to arrange assistance